On May 17, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) celebrates World Telecommunication Day, or as it is known today, World Telecommunication and Information Society Day. The day highlights the impact of the Internet and other means of communication on society. Many parts of the world still have connectivity challenges. ITU is trying to bridge this gap. Here’s everything you need to know about the theme, history and meaning of World Telecommunication Day, along with some relevant quotes and wishes.
World Telecommunication Day 2023: Theme
“Empowering LDCs through ICT” is the theme of this year’s World Telecommunication and Information Society Day programme. The program will be held at the headquarters of the International Telecommunication Union in Geneva, Switzerland.
World Telecommunication Day 2023: History
May 17, 1969 was the first World Telecommunication Day to celebrate the founding of the ITU, originally called the International Telegraph Union. ITU was founded by signing the first international telegraph agreement on May 17, 1865 in Paris. It changed its name to the International Telecommunication Union in 1932 and eventually became a United Nations specialized agency in 1947.
The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) also declared the date, May 17, as the World Information Society Day in its March 2006 resolution. In November of the same year, the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference organized these two days together as the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day.
World Telecommunication Day 2023: Significance
On World Telecommunication Day, ITU is calling on both the private and public sectors to commit to digital transformation and universal connectivity in least developed countries through the “Partner2Connect” Digital Coalition.
World Telecommunication Day 2023: Quotes
- “Don’t you think that dreams and the Internet are the same? They are both areas where the repressed conscious mind is released.” – Yasutaka Tsutsui,
- “An efficient communication network is the foundation on which the information society is built” – Talal Abu-Ghazaleh
- “Intuition becomes increasingly valuable in the new information society precisely because there is so much data” – John Naisbitt
World Telecommunication Day 2023: aspirations
- To celebrate World Telecommunication and Information Society Day by embracing the technology that keeps us all ahead and advanced in life.
- Let’s strive to create a conscious, progressive and interconnected society. Happy World Telecommunication Day.
- Here we wish you and your loved ones a happy World Telecommunication Day.
Read all the Latest Tech News here.